My law firm is casual when we don’t have court or an event to attend. But, as great as that sounds, casual wear at work can be tough to do properly. You don’t want to be over-dressed or under-dressed and it can be a thin line.
Recently, I saw an article about 5 must haves for this summer. I couldn’t wear anything on the list to work, so I thought I’d make up my own. This is my Summer Guide to Style at Work…
- Cardigan- Take a cue from Michelle Obama and buy a cardigan. Cardigans are practical for chilly offices and look stylish with skirts, dresses, shorts, and pants. It’s a new day and they come in just about every color and in some great styles. Try a cool turquoise short sleeve knit cardigan or a subtle black 3/4 sleeve cardigan with diamond buttons. There’s one for everyone.
- A-line skirt- Just because you’re a serious, hard worker, doesn’t mean you can’t be feminine. Try a fun and flirty a-line skirt in a cool fabric. Depending on your job, you may be able to wear a flashy print, but, if not, a more simple neutral can still be attractive. And, paired with a beautiful jewel tone shirt or a floral print cardigan, you can still express your style.
- Dress- Watch the hemline (nothing above the knee) and emphasize the waist, and you have an easy outfit that will still impress. With the right seaming, you may even look ten pounds slimmer– it’s all in the fit. If bare arms aren’t appreciated, look for cap sleeves or grab your cardigan.
- Accessories- Don’t be so afraid to stand out that you forget to accessorize. Here you can have more freedom to be yourself. Wear a chunky gold watch, a metallic purse, or a jewel encrusted hair clip. Don’t wear too many accessories, but use your creativity and have fun!
- Sale- Yes, this is actually on my list. In this economy, it’s important to make a budget and stick to it. Besides, there are so many sales out there that you don’t really have an excuse not to save 30-50% on just about everything you buy. Don’t buy something that doesn’t look good on you in the store or that only interests you because you’re tired and ready to go home. Do shop around. Sometimes you can find that same top you saw at Macy’s at Target or Kohl’s for less. And, those shoes you want might be available for less online with free shipping and free returns– and customer reviews.
So, what are you wearing to work this summer?